As a bonus, Apple TV can connect to Mac OS X and iOS devices via AirPlay — for playing video beyond Netflix. And an Apple TV can be controlled via the Remote app on your iPhone.
Netflix, one of the best OTT platforms worldwide is available for a host of devices including the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices. Netflix app is also officially available for Windows 8 and Windows 10 computers. That said, you won’t find the Netflix app in the App Store or as a standalone installer for Mac. Mac users can only access Netflix by visiting netflix.com in a supported web browser. While you can always watch Netflix in a browser on your Mac, the process certainly isn’t seamless.
- Watching 4K Netflix video on a Mac seems like it’s about to get much easier, as the forthcoming macOS Big Sur includes a Safari update that reportedly lets you watch Netflix in 4K, along with.
- On the other hand, Safari only plays Netflix in 1080p if you’re using a Mac OS X 10.10.3 or later. Apart from that, Mac users are highly recommended to stick to using Safari instead of Chrome – not only do they integrate better with the Apple Ecosystem, but they also don’t drain your battery life as much as Chrome does too.
- The Netflix of MacOS apps. MacPaw is based in a sprawling office in the Ukrainian capital of Kiev. For the past few months, most of its 110 employees have been focused on one project, called Setapp.
How to add Netflix shortcut to Mac desktop or Dock
A lot of Mac users seek for Netflix app since opening Netflix website in a browser involves few extra steps. What if you can launch Netflix directly from your Mac’s Dock or desktop?
Well, it’s possible to get Netflix on your Mac Dock without resorting to a paid third-party solution. You can do so by installing Netflix as an app using Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge. This way you will be able to add Netflix to the home screen or Dock on your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro.
Now let’s see how you can get the Netflix icon on Mac desktop or Dock.
- Make sure Google Chrome is running in normal aka non-Incognito mode.
- Visit netflix.com in Chrome browser.
- Tap the 3-dot menu icon at the top-right and navigate to “More Tools” > Create Shortcut.
- Rename the shortcut to Netflix. Select the “Open as window” option if you prefer to always open the Netflix shortcut in a separate window.
- Click the “Create” button.
- Chrome will create a Progressive Web App (PWA) for Netflix.com. A new “Chrome Apps” folder is also added in Finder. Go to /Users/your username/Applications/Chrome Apps to view it.
To add Netflix to Dock on Mac, simply drag the Netflix web app from the Chrome Apps directory to the left section of your Dock, meant for apps.
To put Netflix on Mac Desktop, copy the Netflix app from the Chrome Apps folder and paste it to your desktop.
Now whenever you launch the Netflix shortcut, it will open directly in Chrome even if Safari or any other app is set as the default browser.
In Microsoft Edge
- Visit netflix.com in the Edge browser.
- Click the 3-horizontal dots at the top right and select “Apps” > Install This Site as an App.
- Give the shortcut a custom name, if you want. Then click “Install”.
- A new “Edge Apps” directory will be added in Finder. Navigate to /Users/your username/Applications/Edge Apps to find it.
- Drag the Netflix app from the Edge Apps folder to the Dock or copy it to your Mac desktop.
Alternatively, you can select “More Tools” > Pin to Finder if you want Netflix to open alongside other tabs instead of a separate window.
NOTE: I’ve tried the above method on macOS Big Sur but it should work fine on Catalina, Mojave, and earlier versions of macOS. Just make sure you’re running the latest version of Chrome or Edge.
How to create Netflix shortcut using Safari
There are instances when you might need to use Safari instead of Chrome such as:
- To watch 1080p content (on macOS 10.11 to 10.15) or up to 4K (on macOS 11.0 or later) since Google Chrome supports streaming up to 720p.
- To stream Netflix content in Ultra HD (4K), your Mac should have macOS Big Sur 11.0 or later with the latest version of Safari browser, besides other requirements.
- When you want to stream HDR content on your Mac.
To put the Netflix web app to your Mac’s Dock using Safari, follow our recent guide “How to pin a website to the taskbar on Mac“.
Apple TV 4K lets you watch movies and shows in amazing 4K HDR and with Dolby Atmos sound.1 It has great content from apps like Crave, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video2 — and streaming now, Apple Originals from Apple TV+.3 You can use Siri to control it all with just your voice. With more ways to watch, play and connect, Apple TV 4K delivers the best viewing and listening experience in your home.
The Apple TV app arrived on the Mac with macOS Catalina. Update your computer and you should find the Apple TV app. Netflix isn't offered on the app. Writing by Stuart Miles and Britta O'Boyle. Apple TV 4K lets you watch movies and shows in amazing 4K HDR and with Dolby Atmos sound. 1 It has great content from apps like Crave, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video 2 — and streaming now, Apple Originals from Apple TV+. 3 You can use Siri to control it all with just your voice.
Download Netflix App For Mac
4K gives you a crisper picture using four times more pixels than standard HD. High Dynamic Range (HDR) delivers brighter, more realistic colours and greater detail. From the hottest new movie to your favourite TV show, everything is more lifelike than ever.
- Macworld is your ultimate guide to Apple's product universe, explaining what's new, what's best and how to make the most out of the products you love.
- Buy Docking Station, USB C Docking Station, Type-C Laptop to Single 5K/Triple 4K Extended Display for MacBook&Thunderbolt3 Windows (7 USB, [email protected] DP, HDMI, LAN, 3.5mm Audio&Mic, SD&TF Card Reader, 60W PD): Docking Stations - Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases.
- Use An Unofficial Netflix App. There is no official Netflix app for macOS but there are some unofficial Netflix apps. However, in general we don’t recommend them because they basically have all the same problems as using a browser.
Combine Apple TV 4K with a Dolby Atmos–compatible sound system or with HomePod and you’re fully immersed in three-dimensional audio that sends sound around and above you with pinpoint precision. Whether a jet zooms overhead or a torrential downpour erupts, the true-to-life sound puts you inside the action. And as the first streaming player to be certified for both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, Apple TV 4K brings home the complete cinematic experience.
Apple TV teams up with some of the world’s largest TV networks and broadcasters to bring you the live content you care about most. Find sports from apps like TSN and Sportsnet. Late-breaking news from apps like CBC News Network and CTV News Go. And your favourite shows on apps such as Bell Fibe TV and CBC Gem.
And now cable customers with leading providers can watch live and on-demand with Apple TV, making it truly the best box to connect to your screen.2
With multi-user support in the new Control Center, all your family members can quickly and easily find only the shows they want to watch. Dad gets his. Mom hers. The kids theirs. It’s an entire TV experience — Up Next lists, video and music collections, recommendations and more — that’s tailored to you and only you.
Netflix App For Mac Os Catalina Mac
Apple Original shows and movies from Apple TV+. Just the premium channels you want. Thousands of movies to buy or rent. Popular streaming services and cable TV providers. It’s personalized and expertly curated, so you’ll discover the best of what’s on. And it’s all in the Apple TV app. On all your screens. It’s the ultimate way to watch TV.
No more typing to find exactly what you’re looking for. Just ask Siri for a movie, show, genre, actor or song you love. Siri also shines when you’re not sure what you want. Just say something like “Show me action movies,” and Siri delivers.
Play the latest episode of Sharp Objects
Show me the best cartoons for kids
Put on the Blue Jays game
What football games are on?
Open Global Go
Play some reggae
Netflix App On Macos Catalina
With multiuser support for gaming, players can keep track of their individual game levels, leaderboards and invitations — and switch between players on the fly. You can also connect more of your favourite controllers to Apple TV, including Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 and Xbox Adaptive Controllers.4
Apple Arcade is a game subscription service unlike any other. There are over 100 games ready to play, and from mythical landscapes to earth-shattering explosions the experience is all too real on your big screen with Apple TV.3
The App Store on Apple TV has something for everyone. Entertainment apps like Amazon Prime Video, Crave and Netflix. Thousands of top sports, fitness and lifestyle apps. And, of course, a world of games.
Enjoy your photos and videos from iCloud Photos or shared albums on the big screen.5 Connect Apple Music to your home theatre. And let your friends and family share their photos and videos with AirPlay.
Memories automatically creates collections of your best photos and videos, and Apple TV lets you see them in 4K HDR. If you create Live Photo loops or bounces on your iPhone, you can share those on the big screen, too.
Apple Music gives you access to over 70 million songs — and music videos from the ’80s and ’90s to today’s top artists — all on your Apple TV.3 Discover great music with family and friends and even sing along to your favourite songs — word for word — with new Lyrics view.New
Get a live view of your front door and keep an eye on all your HomeKit camera feeds. Shut your garage door. Control your home’s heat or air conditioning. Double-check the locks. Apple TV also lets you use your device to control your HomeKit-enabled accessories remotely with the Home app.
Netflix App For Mac Os Catalina Requirements
There’s more New
Picture in Picture lets you
watch a movie while you keep an eye on the game, or check the weather while you binge a TV series.
Netflix App Macos DownloadNew
Netflix App On Macos X
With AirPlay, you can share your 4K HDR videos from the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV 4K in their full resolution.
Netflix App For Mac Os Catalina DmgNew
When it’s quiet time, Audio Sharing lets you connect two sets of AirPods to your Apple TV 4K and still enjoy movies and shows with a friend.New
Netflix App For Mac Os Catalina Download
Connect HomePod to Apple TV 4K and hear the latest movies, shows, music and games in immersive stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound, or Dolby Atmos audio.6
Apple TV Plus
Get 1 year of
Apple TV+ free
when you buy
an Apple TV 4K.7