The latest version of macOS is macOS 11.0 Big Sur, which Apple released on November 12, 2020. Apple releases a new major version roughly once every year. These upgrades are free and are available in the Mac App Store. Listen Now is the new home for Apple Music, 10 featuring new releases, artist interviews, and playlists personalized for you — all in one place. Deeper web knowledge for Siri Siri can now help you find answers to a broader set of questions by leveraging information from across the web. The latest version of tvOS is 15. Learn how to update the software on your Apple TV. The latest version of watchOS is 8. Learn how to update the software on your Apple Watch. Note that after a software update is installed for iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, and watchOS, it cannot be downgraded to the previous version.
- From the Apple menu in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
- Click Software Update.
- Click Update Now or Upgrade Now:
- Update Now installs the latest updates for the currently installed version. Learn about macOS Big Sur updates, for example.
- Upgrade Now installs a major new version with a new name, such as macOS Big Sur. Learn about the latest macOS upgrade, or about old versions of macOS that are still available.
Latest Mac Software Download
If you're having difficulty finding or installing updates:
Latest Mac Software Upgrade
- If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then macOS and all of the apps it installs are up to date, including Safari, Messages, Mail, Music, Photos, FaceTime, Calendar, and Books.
- If you want to update apps downloaded from the App Store, use the App Store to get updates.
- If you want to update your iOS device, learn how to update iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- If your Mac doesn't include Software Update, use the App Store to get updates.
- If an error occurred while installing an update or upgrade, learn how to resolve installation issues.